LINCOLN – Thirteen educators from Mexico were honored on Monday at the Capitol Building in appreciation of their service to Nebraska public education.
The 13 educators were teaching in the state as part of the Binational Migrant Education Teacher Exchange Program with the Department of Education.
The educators are Jorge Ramirez Agüero of Zacatecas, Luis Garza Aguilar of Ciudad Victoria, Lindsay Martinez Baldenegro of Hermosillo, Alethia Gomez Carrillo of Tampico, Erick Castañeda Enriquez of Guadalupe, Alejandra Quiñonez Esquer of Hermosillo, Luis Cardenas Gamez of Tepic, Edna Rivera Lόpez of Tampico, Alaide Terriquez Oliva of Guadalajara, Adriana Cepeda Olivares of Tampico, Maria Analhí Peña Reyes of Ciudad Obregon, Hilda Valadez Ruvalcaba of Guadalupe and Marissa Ibarra Trejo of Xalisco.
The educators taught at several public elementary schools in Alliance, Columbus, Madison, Omaha and Scottsbluff for several weeks starting in May or June. They shared their knowledge of Mexican art and culture and helped the students make their own piñatas, Ojos de Díos and learn some Spanish. They also taught the students about Mexico’s geography, food and famous Mexicans such as artist Frida Kahlo.
Their day began with a tour of the Capitol followed by the ceremony in the Rotunda where they were thanked for their service by Mexican Consulate Guadalupe Sanchez Salazar, the Commissioner of Education Dr. Matthew Blomstedt and Dept. of Education Migrant Education staff. Each educator shared a presentation on their home city and region of Mexico.
The ceremony concluded with Secretary of State John Gale awarding the educators honorary Nebraska citizenship. They will begin returning to Mexico in late June and July 2015.
The public is invited to a Proclamation Ceremony in Lincoln on July 8, 2015 to observe the signing of Dr. Hector P. Garcia Day in Nebraska.
Governor Pete Ricketts will be signing the Proclamation to observe July 26, 2015 as Dr. Hector P. Garcia Day in the state.
The ceremony will take place in the Capitol Building second floor Rotunda, beginning at 10 a.m. There is public parking available. Please inform the Nebraska Latino American Commission office if you are able to attend, in order to provide accommodations. You may call at 402-471-2791 or email Jasel.Cantu@Nebraska.gov.
The State of Nebraska Governor's Office has released a list of current and upcoming openings on Boards and Commissions that are appointed by the Governor.
If interested, please complete the online application prior to the end of the month of their deadlines. Upcoming Deadlines:
- Accountability & Disclosure Commission
- Corn Development, Utilization & Marketing Board
- Environmental Quality Council
- Nebraska Exchange Stakeholder Commission
- Grape & Winery Board
- Commission on Housing & Homelessness
- Commission on Industrial Relations
- Nebraska Library Commission
- Commission on Problem Gambling
- Wheat Development, Utilization & Marketing Board
- Women's Health Initiative Advisory Council
- Nebraska Youth Council
- Aquaculture Board
- Beginning Farmer Board
- Child Abuse Prevention Fund Board
- County Attorney Standards Advisory Council
- Crime Victim's Reparation Committee
- Developmental Disabilities Advisory Council
- Grain Sorghum Development, Utilization & Marketing Board
- Jail Standards Board
- State Advisory Committee on Mental Health Services
- Niobrara Council
- Advisory Council on Public Water Supply
- State Records Board
- State Advisory Committee on Substance Abuse Services
- Wyuka Cemetery Board of Trustees
- Board of Appraisers for Education Lands
- Brand Committee
- Commission for the Protection of Children
- Ethanol Board
- Board of Health
- State Personnel Board
- Potato Development Committee
- Real Estate Commission
- Commission on Uniform State Law
- Nebraska Arts Council
- Collection Agency Licensing Board
- Early Childhood Interagency Coordinating Council
- Election Commissioner
- State Electrical Board
- Equal Opportunity Commission
- Fire Safety Appeals Board
- GIS Geographic Information Systems
- Hall of Fame
- Commission on Indian Affairs
- State Board of Landscape Architects
- Natural Gas Fuel Board
- Oil & Gas Conservation Commission
- Board of Parole
- Board of Public Accountancy
- Rural Health Advisory Commission
- State Emergency Response Commission SERC
- Suggestion Award Board
If you have questions about requirements for any of the Boards or Commissions listed please contact Kathleen Dolezal at 402-471-1971 or email: Kathleen.firstname.lastname@example.org